Studies in Years 11 and 12 lead towards students achieving a Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) and gaining entry to University, TAFE, Apprenticeships or the workforce etc.
The WACE is awarded to a student who:
- Demonstrates a minimum standard of literacy and numeracy*
- Completes a minimum of four Year 12 ATAR courses OR achieve a VET Certificate at Certificate II or higher level
- Completes two (2) Year 11 English units and completes a pair of Year 12 English units
- Completes at least one pair of units from a Year 12 List A course (Arts/Languages/Social Sciences)
- Completes at least one pair of units from a Year 12 List B course (Mathematics/Science/Technology)
- Complete at least twenty (20) units over Year 11 and Year 12, with a minimum of ten (10) Year 12 units
- Achieves at least 14 'C' grades in Year 11 and 12 units (or equivalent)
- Achieves at least six 'C' grades in Year 12 units (or equivalent)
- The pathway the student selects will need to ensure all the above are met and this document is designed to guide you through this process.
There are two pathways available:
Designed for students wishing to gain direct entry to a University. These courses involve ATAR Course examinations. Students are required to have passed all OLNA* (Online Literacy and Numeracy Assessments) in writing, reading and numeracy and have met the particular subject prerequisites.
Designed for students wishing to study a Vocational course at TAFE, a Private RTO, gain a traineeship, gain an Apprenticeship or to gain employment. These courses generally do not have long examinations. Only a few General courses have prerequisites.
* Students are required to pass the the OLNA (Online Literacy and Numeracy Assessments) in Writing, Reading and Numeracy to demonstrate a minimum standard of literacy and numeracy.
All students completed the OLNA tests earlier this year in March if they had not already qualified through their Year 9 NAPLAN results.
It is an absolute minimum requirement for a student to have passed all three sections of their OLNA - Writing, Reading and Numeracy if they wish to undertake an ATAR course.
To gain a WACE, students need to have passed all three sections of OLNA by the end of Year 12. There are still five opportunities to achieve this, the next being in September for the Year 10's.
SCSA Year 10 Information Handbook