Michael Devine Library
The Michael Devine Library provides information, resources and services to the Lumen Christi College community. The resources are selected to meet the needs of our students and the requirements of the curriculum.
The library has a wonderful range of books in various formats, with a particularly good selection in the Fiction section, and with new publications arriving regularly. The library subscribes to an ever growing number of magazines and journals, and these, along with other resources, are available to be borrowed by students or used in the library.
The Library is open Monday 8.00am - 3.30pm, Tuesday - Thursday 8.00am - 4.25pm, and Friday 8.00am - 4.00pm, including breaks. The normal borrowing period is two weeks for both fiction and non-fiction items. A few high demand items are available on overnight loan only. High demand items may also be placed on closed reserve for a set period of time, during which these resources may only be used in the Library.
Students may borrow up to four items at any one time, and are encouraged to ensure that they always have something to read.
The Clickview Digital Video Library
Use the individual username and password emailed to all students at the start of each school year.
Library Web Catalogue
Students may search the Library Catalogue from any computer within the College network. This allows you to browse the catalogue and determine if the resources you require are available. As well as other resources, the catalogue lists many websites that have been identified as being of use in various areas of study. The direct links to these websites are a valuable resource and will reduce the time needed to locate appropriate information. The Library Web Catalogue may be accessed from a link on mydesktop or from the Michael Devine Library website.
Printing, Photocopying and Scanning
The Library has two multi function devices (MFDs) which combine photocopying, printing and scanning facilities. The MFDs are available for student use and are accessed using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). The PIN is issued to all students in an email at the beginning of the school year and students are advised to save this email for future reference.
The Library MFDs are available to students before school, during Break 2 and after school.
Care of Resources
Students are responsible for all the resources they use, and are expected to return items in the condition in which they were borrowed, and on time. Any damage to resources should be reported to library staff as soon as possible.
Students with overdue items are sent a weekly reminder notice, and are expected to come to the Library to discuss the matter. If there is no response, parents are sent an initial letter advising them that their son/daughter has an overdue item.
If the overdue item is still not returned, a second letter will be issued together with a tax invoice for the cost of replacing the item.
Some things to remember……
All the usual Lumen Christi College rules and policies apply in the Library, as anywhere else around the College.
- Electronic devices such as iPods, MP3 players, mobile phones, and so on, are not to be visible switched on, or in use between the hours of 8.40am until 3.20pm.
- Bags are kept in student lockers throughout the day, and may not be brought into the Library or left in the Library foyer.
- Eating or drinking is not permitted in the Library, Library foyer or directly outside the Library doors.
- All students are issued with a SmartRider/Library Card which must be carried at all times. Students are not permitted to borrow Library resources without this card. Misplaced, damaged or lost library cards must be reported to Library staff immediately. A charge will be made for replacement cards.
- Students entering the Library during class time must report to a member of the Library staff with a note in the Student Organiser signed by their teacher.
- Private study students must obtain permission from a member of the Library staff prior to coming to the Library during their study period.
- Students must leave the areas, resources and equipment they have used in a clean and tidy state, ready for the next group.