The Catholic Community in Perth
Lumen Christi College belongs to the family of Catholic schools in WA that are governed by the Catholic Education Office of WA. Unlike other states in Australia, Catholic schools in Western Australia are united as a system, with the four dioceses - Perth, Bunbury, Geraldton and Broome - all collaborating to provide quality Catholic schooling across the state.
The College is also intrinsically connected to the family of parishes which belong to the Archdiocese of Perth. Covering an area of 471,118 sq kms the Archdiocese has a population of about 1.5 million, of whom about 365,000 are Catholics. While the bulk of the population lives in the metropolitan area the Archdiocese also includes extensive fishing, agricultural, pastoral and mining industries.
Dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother Church of the Diocese, generally known as St Mary’s Cathedral, was beautifully renovated and officially reopened on 8 December 2009. The original cathedral building was blessed and opened on 29 January 1865.
Two porches and the spire were added by Bishop Gibney in 1905. In 1926, work began on the new, larger cathedral. Though opened on 4 May 1930, the Great Depression prevented the envisaged additions being made to complete the Cathedral.
Having entered a new millennium Archbishop Hickey felt it was time to begin the huge task of completing the Cathedral. Following serious fundraising and almost three years of painstaking work the dream was realised.